Deadline : 7 March,2018
Location : Bangkok,Thailand
Duration : 21-26 May,2018
Type : Fully-funded
Description : The Asia Foundation is now accepting applications for the Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) Critical Thinking in Classrooms Regional Workshop sponsored by the U.S. Department of State through the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. This regional workshop will take place from May 21-26, 2018 in Bangkok, Thailand, and bring together 60 participants from ASEAN countries.The objective of this workshop in Bangkok is to challenge and inspire participants to learn about and advocate for critical thinking skills in the classroom, to address education gaps, social challenges, disinformation, and fake news. By achieving this objective, the project will contribute to ASEAN efforts to reform government education systems to include a stronger emphasis on critical thinking, and skills that will be critical for full engagement in the digital economy, which will contribute to future innovation and economic growth in ASEAN countries. The conference will serve as a platform for emerging young leaders from ASEAN countries, to meet with leading experts on critical thinking in classrooms, and learn about strategies for reforming education, and interpreting false and conflicting online information.
Benefits : The workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to work together to develop possible solutions to educational and social challenges, and address problems associated with disinformation and fake news. As a follow-on component, the program will support selected participants to implement projects and/or share lessons learned with governments, educational development institutions, community organizations, or youth groups upon their return home.All program and travel costs including flight/transportation, meals, and accommodation will be covered. Please note that only flights within the 10 ASEAN countries are eligible; additional costs are the responsibility of participants.
Eligibilities :Applicants must:
- Be aged between 18 – 35;
- Be a citizen of an ASEAN member state (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam);
- Be a YSEALI member (to become a YSEALI member, please register at http://yseali.state.gov);
- Possess strong English-language skills;
- Key characteristics: Emerging leaders with a strong interest in education policy and reform, 21st century skills, workforce competitiveness, child psychology, media & social media literacy.
- Have a keen interest in applying critical thinking to advance education reform in his/her own country, or applying critical thinking to spread media and social media literacy in his/her advocacy against fake news and disinformation.
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the dates specified;
- Be an emerging leader or practitioner. Individuals with a track record in the following fields are encouraged to apply: education policy, higher education, school administration, journalism, academic research, public policy analysis/advising, psychology (or related discipline), entrepreneurship, human resources, social enterprise, media/social media analysis. Students are welcome to apply.
Note: Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously attended a YSEALI regional or U.S.-based workshop or fellowship.
You can apply here.