Deadline : 11:59PM, Sunday, February 4th, 2018.
Location : Vietnam
Duration : June 4-9, 2018
Type : Fully Funded
The U.S. Mission to Vietnam and the Resource Center for Community Development (RCCD), An Giang University seek candidates for the 2018 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Protecting The Mekong Delta Environment. ASEAN citizens between the ages of 18 and 25, full-time undergraduate students or those who have graduated from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning, who demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university or place of work, an interest in community service and volunteerism, and have a good command of English, are invited to apply for the workshop. The application deadline is 11:59PM, Sunday, February 4th, 2018. The Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) is a public diplomacy program of the U.S. Department of State designed to advance regional strategic goals, break down barriers that separate the next generation of leaders in ASEAN, and link those emerging leaders to the United States. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and co-hosted by the U.S. Mission to Vietnam and the Resource Center for Community Development (RCCD), An Giang University, the 2018 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Protecting The Mekong Delta Environment will invite 120 participants from ASEAN countries to Can Tho City, Vietnam from June 4-9, 2018 to study and observe the latest consequences of changes in the environment in the Mekong Delta such as landslides, salinization, river flooding, sea level rising, degradation of water resources, and silt and effects of building hydroelectric plants, which all have direct effects on people’s incomes and lives, as well as economic development of the region. Through presentations, case studies, site visits, and interactive activities, participants will explore potential short and long term solutions and implementation strategies for addressing changes in the environment that are causing serious and observable consequences in Can Tho City as well as the Mekong Delta.
- Be a YSEALI member. Click HERE to join YSEALI
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam;
- Be a resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam;
- Be a full-time undergraduate student or have graduated in the past four years from college, university, or other institution of higher learning;
- Be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English;
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in environmental sustainability, social and economic engagement, and sustainable development;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest in community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Have a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive program; and
- Have a commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your community, country, or the ASEAN region.
All participant costs, including program administration, international and domestic travel and ground transportation, insurance and incidental allowances, housing and subsistence expenses will be paid for by the U.S. Department of State.
Step 1: Complete application dossier includes:
1. Complete application form HERE
2. Official transcripts for years of university study, and university degree if you already graduated; and
3. A letter of recommendation from teacher/professor (for undergraduate students); or from current supervisor (for working people)
Step 2: Combine these three documents into one PDF file.
Step 3: Submit it online HERE
For more information please see Official Announcement