Deadline : March 2nd, 2018.
Location : Singapore
Duration : Four Days
Type : Contest
The ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Youth (SOMY) is pleased to announce the 4th Annual ASEAN Youth Video contest focused on the theme of “Youth Celebrating Diversity to Promote a Culture of Peace and Tolerance.” This contest is supported by the ASEAN Foundation and the U.S. Government through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the U.S Mission to ASEAN.The ASEAN Declaration on Culture of Prevention for a Peaceful, Inclusive, Resilient, Healthy and Harmonious Society was adopted by the ASEAN Leaders at the ASEAN Summit November 13, 2017 in Manila. To support the Declaration’s core mission of promoting a culture of peace and intercultural understanding and ensuring youth of the region embrace the underlying tenets of diversity, young filmmakers in ASEAN are invited to submit a 60-second video on how youth in ASEAN celebrate diversity in order to promote a culture of peace and tolerance.Be creative! The top 10 entries will be selected to participate in an expert-led filmmaking workshop in Singapore and be eligible to win cash prizes
- The competition is open to amateur filmmakers (not currently employed in the video production profession), who are citizens of ASEAN Member States (AMS)—Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam—and who currently reside in his/her home country.
- The contest is designed for aspiring filmmakers and interested youth. In the past, small teams have contributed to the design, development, and staging of video entries. This is acceptable, however, if a team works to produce a video, only one member of the team will be eligible to participate in the expert training event and receive cash prizes.
- Candidates must be aged 18 to 30 years old at the time of deadline submission on March 2nd, 2018.
- Finalists from previous years’ contests are not eligible to participate.
Entry and Selection Rules:
- Each short video entry must clearly and creatively address the theme “Youth Celebrating Diversity to Promote a Culture of Peace and Tolerance” in 60 seconds or less. The video should be in English, or if created in local language the video should be complemented with English subtitles.
- Entries depicting violence, sexism, racism, or other inappropriate content such as smoking, drinking, or other vices, including messaging deemed to advocate curtailment of the rights of others, will be disqualified.
- A video production workshop for 10 selected finalists will be held in Singapore on April 2018. Only one participant from each of the selected top 10 videos is invited to participate in the workshop.
- Selected finalists attending the video production workshop must have a valid passport allowing them to travel to Singapore and must have strong proficiency in English since the training will be conducted in English.
- Entries are limited to one video per individual or team.
- Each individual or team is strongly encouraged to have a Facebook account for ease of communication with the trainer and other participants.
- By entering the contest, participants acknowledge and guarantee that the submitted video is an original work created solely by the entrant and that it does not infringe on copyrights; trademarks; and the rights of privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
- By submitting an entry to the video contest, participants agree to grant ASEAN, USAID, and the U.S. Mission to ASEAN the right to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in any media at any time.
Selection criteria for the video, prioritized by the judging panel:
- Adherence to the theme: The video clearly and creatively represents the theme of “Youth Celebrating Diversity to Promote a Culture of Peace and Tolerance” through positive youth perspectives.
- Originality and creativity: The content is unique and not derivative of other ideas and presents the theme in an original and compelling way.
- Potential viewer impact: The video conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers.
- Overall execution: The video reflects thoughtful framing and composition, presenting a clear story, is well-paced and focused, and has a clear and audible soundtrack and/or voice-over.
- Visual techniques: The visual content is appealing to viewers through composition and technique, using appropriate effects.
- Duration: The duration of final video should not exceed 2 minutes.
Prizes: Cash prizes for the top three videos include:
- 1st Place: $1,000
- 2nd Place: $750
- 3rd Place: $500
Click HERE to summit video.
For more information, please visit Official Website