Deadline: 13 ,November ,2017
Location: Tokyo , Japan
Duration: 5 February to 1 June 2018,
Type: Paid Internship
The United Nations University Office of the Rector is calling for applications from highly qualified applicants to work as Junior Fellows at the UNU headquarters in Tokyo in the spring of 2018. The underlying principles of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector are centered on creating a dynamic, challenging and rewarding experience for graduate level students and young professionals.
Successful candidates will contribute to the work of the Office of the Rector, the United Nations University, and the UN system as a whole. The programme provides opportunities for the development of new skills and knowledge and is a unique and constructive setting for the practical application of capacities acquired through graduate studies.
The programme places a strong emphasis on the training, guidance, and hands-on experience that form the foundation of a successful and beneficial internship. The programme opens with a one-week orientation designed to familiarize junior fellows with UNU, their co-workers, facilities and the working processes within the Office of the Rector. The knowledge and practical experience gained will also be beneficial to those candidates seeking a career in the United Nations. Junior fellows at the Office of the Rector can expect to gain valuable work experience while contributing in meaningful ways to UNU’s mission.
- Candidate is currently pursuing or has recently completed postgraduate studies (master’s or doctoral), preferably in a field related to the University’s work;
- Is under 32 years of age at the time of application;
- Must not have more than 5 years of work experience in their related field;
- Has a native or near fluent command of written and spoken English;
- Has excellent research, writing and analytical skills;
- Can establish and maintain effective working relations with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness and creativity in problem-solving;
- Has advanced computer skills: sound, hands-on, knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc.); and
- Has a demonstrated interest in the work of the United Nations and more specifically, in the work of the United Nations University.
- Junior Fellows are provided office space and facilities, as appropriate for their work, and are provided a monthly stipend in addition to a fixed transportation allowance for their commute to and from the UNU headquarters building;
- Junior Fellows also enjoy free access to the headquarters’ library and gym and have the unique opportunity to learn about, contribute to and provide assistance in the organization of conferences, lectures and academic forums and symposiums that take place throughout the year;
- Junior Fellows work full time during the regular working hours of the University: 9:30–17:30, Monday to Friday. Weekends and official UNU holidays are days off. In addition, Junior Fellows are entitled to 1 day of leave per month.
Application Process: Apply Here
For more information, please visit Official Website